In line with government guidance our school is now closed. We are operating emergency childcare provision on our site for a limited number of selected children. Please call 01726 812831.

What is SEND?

Mrs Marie Rule

SENDCO (maternity cover)
Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)

Mrs Dyer works with teachers, families and children to ensure that children get the best opportunities to reach their potential whilst at our school.

If you need to contact Mrs Dyer please contact her via email or leave a message with the school office team.

Please note that Mrs Dyer works part time and so may not be able to see you imediately. If you have urgent concerns please talk to either Mr Clutsom or Mrs Leonard.

What is SEND?
SEND – stands for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. These needs may be very broad, varying from difficulties in literacy to diagnosed conditions.  At Charlestown ACE Academy we have children with a variety of needs and we support them successfully. We do this in a variety of ways including extra adult support during lessons, extra time to learn the skills needed to make progress, with either the class teaching assistant or in focused out of class groups. We also ask for and encourage support from outside agencies like physiotherapists, Speech and Language therapists, the educational psychologist and county advisors for physical disabilities.

Who is the SEN co-ordinator?
 Mrs Amy Dyer is our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO). The SENCO’s job, alongside your child’s class teacher and a team of TA’s, is to co-ordinate the extra help they may need both in and outside of school. 

How can we support your children?
It might be that you are worrying that your child seems to be struggling now or more than they have in the past. In the first instance you should communicate your concerns to your child’s class teacher. We try to communicate with you at all times and teachers will speak to you if they are concerned your child is not making the anticipated progress. 

If you are worried that your child is not happy, struggling to remember facts, always in trouble or not making progress in reading, please speak to your child’s class teacher. If that is difficult, please ask to speak Amy Dyer.

If your child does need extra help you will receive an appointment to meet your child’s class teacher to discuss what they find tricky and how we propose to help them. This is written down in a plan called an IEP (Individual Education Plan). You may also receive a letter asking for permission for your child to be part of a group. These groups run during the school day and give your child extra practice at whatever skill they need. We want you to know how your child is being supported and to help them in similar ways if you can. 

To further support your child we also plan to give the children opportunities to try various sports and activities that they may not otherwise have the chance to do. We strive to help them find activities and skills they can thrive at, which helps boost their confidence in different areas of the curriculum and increases their self-esteem. 

Admissions of children with an Educational Health Care Plan 

How places are allocated

If you apply for a place in the school and the number of applications is not greater than 30 then you will be automatically offered a place. However if this number is exceeded, then after the admission of pupils with Education Health Care Plans, where Charlestown Primary is named as the school, the published criteria  will be applied.